taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

I am a Category 2 tax resident of Gibraltar. I have elected

Customer Question

I am a Category 2 tax resident of Gibraltar. I have elected to pay all my worldwide taxes in Gibraltar. I have checked with my accountant and we have had confirmation from Department of Pensions in the UK that I have made sufficient NI insurance to qualify for a full state pension and it is not necessary to make further payments. Now that I have left the UK I have been advised that I can no longer get medical treatment from the NHS in the UK. I am not entitled to any medical treatment or prescriptions from the Gibraltar Health authority. Am I still entitled to claim medical treatment or prescriptions from the NHS?
Expert:  taxadvisor.uk replied 10 months ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Your National Insurance contributions for pension entitle you to receive state pension worldwide. This is not the case for NHS treatment.

Your entitlement to free NHS treatment depends on your residence status. You may have to pay for medical treatment under NHS in the UK.

More information on NHS charges for people from abroad is covered here

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/healthcare/help-with-health-costs/nhs-charges-for-people-from-abroad/#h-nhs-hospital-treatment

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.