bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I do not have a tax advisor but have been asked to urgently

Customer Question

I do not have a tax advisor but have been asked to urgently have one send a letter confirming that I am a UK resident as well as a UK Domiciled? I already have a certificate of UK fiscal residence - thanks so much
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Who has asked you to have this letter sent? There is a possibility that this is the start of a scam.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have dividends from shares in a Finish company. In order to receive them a bank is asking to prove I am both resident and domiciled in the UK. I have had HMRC issue a letter of tax residence but not of domicile - which I need to prove asap. The bank has told me to go to my tax advisor but I do not have on. Thanks so much.

\you may have problem there as it takes at least 16 years to change your domicile! Surely this bank will accept HMRC's letter that you are an UK resident. I have never heard the like and I have, in the past, received overseas dividends without having to disclose either residence or domicile. I small something fishy here.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm domiciled in the UK - always have been. I work and live here full time. They just need proof as I have an additional passport which I rarely use. I assume there is a form or something online (as there is with the fiscal residence) but I cannot find it. Thanks so much

The concept of fiscal residence is unknown in the UK. You are either resident or non resident for tax purposes. My wife has dual nationality and holds two passports, yet she has never been subjected to such treatment. Like you I can find nothing regarding proof of domicile save for ex pats or immigrants, of which you are neither. You will have to tell this bank, who appear to be run by either Donald Duck or Mickey Mouse, of the realities of your position.

A tax adviser would not be an authority on domicile in any event. This is a highly complex subject.

I am so sorry I cannot be of more assistance.

Post to clear my question list.