bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My husband of 23 years owned and ran his own company. I was

My husband of 23 years owned and ran his own company. I was on the company payroll, and earned under the taxable threshold for many years as a way of him paying less tax on that portion of his salary. We are now divorced. I am still earning less than £11,000, but realise that I have not been paying a NI contribution and am worried about how this will impact on me in the future. I had a part-time job Feb 2014 - June 2015 and my NI contribution was deducted at source. I did some preliminary research about this and think that I am covered by my ex husbands NI contributions up until a certain point, perhaps dependent on the age of my children, who are now 23 and 20. The 20 year old is in her 2nd year of a 4 year MA course and will graduate in 2019.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

I see that you have been indulging in tax avoidance, however the NI Threshold is well below the Income Tax (IT) one so you may well have been unwittingly paying these contributions. Have the relevant office in Newcastle been sending you letters warning you of a lack of contributions? If not then it is highly likely that my surmise that when you were on the company payroll you may well have been contributing. I would advise you to check by getting a state pension forecast at gov.uk/state-pension-statement or by telephoning 0845 3000 168

The position for ladies in your position is exceedingly complex and I should advise you to read this web site very carefully as it throws much light on your situation:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/experts/article-2899593/My-wife-never-paid-National-Insurance-contributions-retire-nothing.html

I do hope that I have been able to point you in the right direction for more comprehensive guidance.

Thank you for your support.