TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I am approaching my first vat return. I am using standard

Hello. I am approaching my first vat return. I am using standard accounting. I use my own vehicle for business use but I don't think I do enough miles to bother with all the hassle of claiming the vat back. Do I have to opt the car out in any way or just not include it? Also, can I claim any mileage for my self assessment if I am not claiming for VAT? Thanks
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

You can choose not to reclaim the VAT if your business mileage is low as you can read under Fuel costs here. You don't have to formally opt out so far as I'm aware.

In your self-assessment claim the VAT inclusive cost of the fuel used on business as an expense or use the mileage allowance rules. You can use these if you are self-employed.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
That's great. And also the answer I was hoping to hear. Thank you for your help.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.

Would you mind rating my answer before you leave the site please.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 1 year ago.