Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I have been working overseas full time since October 2009

Hello, I have been working overseas full time since October 2009 and am thinking of returning to the UK to work. Will I be liable for income tax on my overseas earnings in the current tax year?
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.

No - the tax year in which you return to the UK will be treated as a split year - so all income earned abroad up until the date you return will remin free of UK tax under the non residency ruling, and only income earned after you return back to the UK will be considered under UK tax jurisdiction.

Do let me know if I can assist further

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for such a quick answer. That is a weight off my mind. Have a nice day.Terry
Expert:  Sam replied 11 months ago.

HI terry

You too - and if you need any further assistance then please do come back to Just Answer.

In the meantime if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated if you could rate for the level of service I have provided (or click accept)