bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

We are a small family company. We had to reset our computer

We are a small family company. We had to reset our computer and on re-logging in we had no archive Basic PAYE. Last month we inputted our family employees, but no brought forward records were seen. We ended up with submissions not accepted, and telephone conversations with HMRC revealed that this archive was not possible.
Will this affect P60 forms next April, and WHY OH WHY can HMRC not give us our lost inputs from 6 April this year, up to last month - September 2016.
Surely they must have this record somewhere in their system. Why will they not make it simple to give us back our old records ???
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

HMRC are not in the business of providing meaningful information. The IT staff employed by them are the dregs of that profession who cannot get a job elsewhere. HMRC's systems analysis and design is a disgrace, their PAYE system is, at the best creaky, and of indifferent performance. I am aware of a company who had a PAYE system up and running which simply collapsed and refused to even allow directors to log on!

It may be necessary to go right back to the beginning of the tax year and re=input data month by month. Did HMRC not giove you any guidance as to the way ahead to resolve the situation in your telephone call?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Their system came up with 3 submissions not accepted (for inputting 3 salaried employees) but these submissions kept getting rejected, and still lie there, but it is the worry about the P60s if next April they only have our company with info from September, when we re-started using the PC. Would they supply "paper" information if we wrote and asked them to send us copies of the missing months - April to August 2016 ?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is the £44 additional to the £47 I have already agreed to ?

Well, they might; an alternative might be to 'pay' the April to August later in the year. This will skew the system somewhat, but at least it will produce a workable P60.

I cannot help you with your last additional question. You will have to approach Just Answer Administration to resolve this query. I have nothing to do with the pricing of questions.

bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience: FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Guess you've summed up my own feelings, remembering my days in The Insolvency Division of Dept of Trade and Industry, and the staff there. If HMRC can't (or will not) tweak their systems to deal with such a simple problem, as archive supply, then I suppose the best is to send them another submission of the same thing, as they cannot then say that we did nothing.
C'est la vie !!

Yes it might well put them back in their box. HMRC's standard response to any complaint about their IT systems is 'Well it works for us.' It still surprises me that the VAT Return one operates like clockwork. It is all such a pain.

Thank you for your support.

And your kind bonus.