bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I work in the film and TV industry. and I am registered as

Customer Question

I work in the film and TV industry . and I am registered as schedule D for tax purposes only. I am contracted for each individual days work I do and I am classed as an employee for each day I work. The companies stop my holiday pay, but I pay my own tax on my earnings. I earn over £70k a year and have been for the last 15 years. Should I be VAT registered or because of the above details, can I be exempt, which I would prefer?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The VAT Turnover Threshold is currently 83K in any one year. You would appear to be below this limit so you need not worry about VAT registration. As far as I can see your supplies could never be classed as exampt, but until you breach the turnover threshold you have nothing to worry about.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.