bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

But lived in the U.K. for the last 18 years. Can my mother

I'm Portuguese but lived in the U.K. for the last 18 years. Can my mother transfer money into my account in England? She lives in Portugal and this account is in her name and mine. How many times or/and how much per year without paying tax?
My father has died this year. He had an account on his name, my mother's and mine. How much can my mum move from this account into mine without paying tax?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 year ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The UK has no gifts tax regime so your mother can transfer money to your account in England as often as she likes and a much as she likes. The only thing is that you should warn your bank of the incoming funds and their source to preclude any money laundering inquiries a large transfer might attract.

I suggest that you contact the bank to explain the situation of your father's demise and adjust the account to only two joint holders.

All these activities are outside the scope of UK taxation.

I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.

Thank you for your support.