Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

A client - ltd co - has moved to another accountant. I have

Customer Question

A client - ltd co - has moved to another accountant. I have not been paid the final balance from the client. This matter now in court. Do I have to release info to new accountants before I get paid?
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your question

Sadly yes - as one is independent of the other, so regardless of how unreasonable the client is being with paying their bill, you do not have the legal right to hold onto their paperwork.

Do let me know if I can assist further

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
To what extent do I have to provide information. I have no original paperwork. I have computer files for payroll ( M11 / 16 ), ledger postings and invoice analysis. Previous year finalised accounts have been supplied to the client, but I have copies.
Expert:  Sam replied 10 months ago.

Thanks for your further question

You would need to provide the payroll position for the new accountant to continue to run payroll (but I would assume this was supplied each month to your client anyway so this does not need to be duplicated ) they would need the ledger postings - as I would assume you are part way through an accounting period but previous year finaised accounts - which would tie in with Company House return and Corporation Tax Return - again i would assume your client was provided with copies of this - so I would refer back to this fact

Then you would have considered your clients self assessment

The upshot is

All that has been filed following finalisation, of which copies already supplied to client - you do not need to duplicate thse, so advise the new account these were provided to your client

Anything part way through the year - you would need to supply as this will enable the new accountant to finalsie that specific year

But I am sure the new accountant has specified what they want for you

Do let me know if I can assist further, or , if you have all that you need, it would be appreciated, if you could rate the level of service I have provided, or click accept