bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am currently in dispute with my employer regarding company

Customer Question

I am currently in dispute with my employer regarding company car tax.
My company provided me with an estate car to carry out my work duties. I am a service supervisor (similar to a service enginer) and travel to various sites each day to carry out maintenence tasks. My contract of employment says that I am based from home and must travel to each site for business.
I believe that I should be exempt from company car tax as the company car is used for business use only. The vehicle is tracked so this can be confirmed by tracker logs.
I am also on a on call rota and the permanent second on call so I have to be relatively close to my vehicle (it is literally jam packed with company tools) incase I recieve an emergency call out during the night.
My employer fills out the p11d and they claim that I should be paying both car and fuel benefit tax, so this has been automatically removed from my pay for the last 12 months.
Should I be paying this or would I be exempt?
What evidence could I provide them to get them to change this (it goes through payroll).
I have spoken to HMRC and they seem to think I should be exempt, but my company refuses to accept this.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 12 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

I concur with the opinion expressed by HMRC. My advice would be to consult a solicitor to put pressure on your employers to correct the current obvious errors currently being made.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.