Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My wife and I took out a life assurance policy in Jan 1992

Customer Question

My wife and I took out a life assurance policy in Jan 1992 at a cost of GBP 30,000. Friends Life advise that the surrender value on 2nd Nov was GBP 92,500 and that the policy is non- qualifying, so that surrender would create a chargeable event for tax purposes. We have no other capital gains in the last ten years. What are the tax implications if we surrender at this time, please?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 9 months ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 9 months ago.

Have you ever made any cash withdrawals from the bond? Are you both beneficiaries of the bond? What are your respective annual incomes before tax?