TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

I am a US Citizen who was on a working visa to the UK for

Customer Question

Hello - I am a US Citizen who was on a working visa to the UK for several years. I moved back to the US and am working as an independent contractor. I am in the UK now working on a project under my contracting business. Can I arrange payment into my UK bank account? Or do I have to have it sent to my US bank account because that is where my business is?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

You can have it sent to your UK bank. This does not change the fact that it is still reported on your US return as business income. It is not where the money is held (do not forget about your potential FATCA reporting about that UK account ) but how you earned it.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Thank you - but is that legal since I am not on a work visa - only a tourist visa?
Is there any reporting to the UK government that could flag a Border Agency investigation?
It's only 5K GBP.

A non UK person can have a UK bank account. There is no legal restriction stopping banks accepting customers with foreign addresses.