Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

My husband and I have a property in joint names we bought in

Customer Question

My husband and I have a property in joint names we bought in 2002. It has appreciated in value. It is our one and only property we own. We had it valued in April 2015. We went abroad in 2010 and we were both UK non resident. We rented the property out August 2010 to August 2016. My husband continues to be UK non resident. I returned to UK in May of this year and have stayed in the property since end of August. My questions are these? I am clearly a resident of the UK since May 2016. My husband is not. What is our CGT liability if we sell the property now or in the future and can we minimise this?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 10 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Why did you go abroad; was it because of your husband's employment? Were you living in job related accommodation whilst you were overseas? Did you send a Form P85 to the tax authorities when you left in 2010?

Once I know this I will be in a better position to respond to your query.

This is a duplicate question. You should approach Just Answer Administration for a refund.