bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

HMRC have been negotiating with us with regards to the tax

Customer Question

HMRC have been negotiating with us with regards ***** ***** tax we owe them. We reached an agreement with them but now they've come back to say that also they've put on the interest that they say has accrued during negotiations. They are asking for 60k more than previously agrred!
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 9 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Interest at 60K seems a trifle steep. Is this an accurate figure on the interest due on the debt or merely one based on assumptions. HMRC are very keen to make assumptions, invariably incorrect and always in the Revenue's favour.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
We entered into a full and final settlement but now they've rejected that And added interest to interest. We have asked for a full breakdown of amounts etc in writing but nothing has been forthcoming. We think it is purely assumptions but how do we find out and get the correct information required.

By acting as you have already done and asking for chapter and verse regarding their demands. HMRC tend to take a long time to respond to correspondence these days.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I think it's more that they play for time so that more interest is added. So there is no other way that we can make sure that we're getting accurate, up to day information apart from keep on asking them?

Just keep plugging away at them. Also tell them that you are appealing against their actions. This freezes the whole affair until agreement is reached.