TonyTax
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
13905389

I have been sending letters to hmrc replying to a letter

Customer Question

Hi, i have been sending letters to hmrc replying to a letter they sent me about me having underpaid tax for tax 2010/1. This has occured due to my past employer filed my earning for the wrong year. Hmrc have almost ignored every letter that i have sent them. Last time i talked to them over the phone they told me to fill in a SA and so I did and sent it t them. But still they ignored it all and have sebt me the same letter of underpaid tax and hou interest has been building up on it. Is there any way i could get this resolved?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 months ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 months ago.

If the error is as simple as you say it is, then frankly, it shows HMRC in a very bad light.

All you can do at this stage is to make a complaint uisng the procedure here. If I were you, I'd make the complaint verbally by calling the number here. Ask to speak to a complaints manager and don't be fobbed off by the person who answers the phone offering to help. This seems to be beyond the HMRC minions. When you get to speak to a complaints manager, explain the problem to him or her and ask them what they intend to do. You should ask them to have tax collection proceedings suspended while they investigate the matter. In my experience, the complaints managers are good at getting things done. Keep notes of telephone conversations and copies of correspondence. You might also call the tax collection people and tell them that the matter is the subject of a complaint.

I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hi thank you for the reply.
I just contacted HMRC and they told me that they havent got any record of my letters being sent to them. Also they have built up a debt payable which is due to my ex employer filing my earning for the wrong tax year. Will this debt be written off if i am able to prove the fact that my ex employer had miss informed HMRC. Also they have asked me to fill in a SA form and send it to them.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 months ago.

If your ex-employer has reported earnings for the wrong year, then either your ex-employer should put the record straight or HMRC should take it up with them. You should not be penalised.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 10 months ago.

You told me earlier that you had completed a tax return and now you have another. If it will help HMRC, then complete it but you will need to make the complaint.