bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am a self-employed UK citizen working abroad full-time and

Customer Question

I am a self-employed UK citizen working abroad full-time and on that basis I am currently classified as non-resident for UK income tax.
An EU client has told me I must show a VAT number on my invoices.
If I register for VAT in the UK can I still be classified as non-resident for UK income tax or will I become a company and taxed on my world-wide earnings.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 4 months ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You should tell your EU customer that you are not registered for VAT in the UK and therefore do not have a VAT Number. Remember that some EU countries do not have any VAT Threshold eg Germany where if you do one phennig's worth of business you must register for their equivalent of VAT. HMRC may allow a registration, but probably not as you are non resident. If they do it will not open the door to UK taxation on the company's world wide income. I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.