TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

Question. resident and I might be spending time in Poland

Customer Question

This is European question. I am UK resident and I might be spending time in Poland due to personal reasons. I have flexibility of working anywhere, but have been told that I might have some tax issues if I stay in Poland too long without going back to the UK. Can you please help me understand if I could have some form of tax issue?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.

They most likely were trying to warn you about becoming a tax resident in Poland.
Polish income tax law provides that an individual whose place of residence lies within Poland shall be liable to Polish income tax on his/her worldwide income. In these circumstances, the individual is considered to have an unlimited tax liability.
If an individual whose place of residence is not Poland, the individual has a limited Polish tax liability. The individual is only liable to Polish income tax in respect of Polish-sourced income. You should not be in Poland for more than 183 days.
Please let me know if you need more information.
If you do not then a positive 5 star rating is appreciated.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you please elaborate on 183 days. Is this 183 consequitive days or in total over span of a year?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.

It is over the entire year.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.

A positive 5 star rating credits me with assisting you.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you please provide me information on where this is documented? I need to read the exact rules.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.

I took the information from Poland Tax law.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Can you send me a link?
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.

I can send you a published paper by an international group that will be easier to navigate
https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/Tax/dttl-tax-polandguide-2016.pdf
Look in chapter 6

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 6 months ago.

You are most welcome.
A positive 5 star rating credits me with assisting you