bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Any 'experts' on-line regarding BIK for company cars / fuel?

Customer Question

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 months ago.

Hi. My name is*****'m looking at your question now and will post my answer or ask for more information here in a short while.

Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 months ago.

Can you tell me what your question is please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm a regional manager for a plant hire company covering 6 depots across the south of England.
I work from home in Milton Keynes (not at home) - and travel to these depots or to customers sites / premises. My contract probably says I am based at our head office (in London) but only visit there every 8 or 10 weeks.
I have a company car and my company provides all fuel - and I pay tax on the BIK for private use. I would like to remove the tax burden of the fuel BIK and pay for my own private fuel but have been told that travel to my depots (closest 70 miles from home, furthest 240 miles) is classed as a commute (permanent places of work?) and so private mileage rather than business mileage - for which I would still be liable.
Are you able to confirm and / or offer any advice?
Expert:  TonyTax replied 3 months ago.

I'm going to have to opt out I'm afraid. I'm having techinical problems. Hopfully another expert will pick up your question.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

As an employee you can only have one place of work. From the tenor of your question this would appear to be the Head Office in London. Thus the only mileage which would be a benefit in kind would be journeys between your home and London. Trips to other depots would not. I think that will resolve your difficulty.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Can you point me in the direction of the HMRC rules and guidelines that would support your statement please.
I'm up against EIM32065 which states "It is possible for an employee to have more than one permanent workplace at the same time...."

Absolute twaddle, it has always been a point of tax principle that an employee can only have one workplace. This has been the case since time immemorial. This sounds like a typical HMRC interpretation, quoting the law as they what they would like it to be as opposed to what it actually is.

I can see no variance from this principle in EIM32065.