bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My Mum is 92 years old and wants to give some of her money

Customer Question

My Mum is 92 years old and wants to give some of her money to me, my children and grandchildren. Can she give us £250 each per month without any tax implications?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Unfortunately no, such gifts are limited to GBP 3K in any one tax year. Each tax year, you can also give away wedding or civil ceremony gifts of up to £1,000 per person (£2,500 for a grandchild or great-grandchild, £5,000 for a child) [source Gov UK WEb Site].

Otherwise gifts create a Potentially Exempt Transfer (PET) in the Inheritance Tax (IHT) affairs of the donor. PETs run off atr a taper over 7 yers and in the event of the donor's decease within that period are added back to their estate for the IHT computation. PETs are the first to suffer IHT (which kicks in at 325K and is at a 40% flat rate) and if the estate is insufficient to meet the IHT on the PET then the liability cascades down to the beneficiary for immediate payment.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.