bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

2 questions on my self assessment. I have to fill one in as

2 questions on my self assessment.
I have to fill one in as my income (including taxable benefits) is over the £50k mark.
When filling the the form in, I am confused on 2 sections.
1) Underpaid Tax for 2016/2017, included in your tax code for 2017/2018.
I've filled this in correctly, but when I go to view the calculation at the end it states ...included in your tax code for 2016/2017 (instead of 2017/2018)? Is this an error??
2) Just after the underpaid tax question, it asks about other debts. I have already declared the underpayment being collected this tax year, what other information are they after?
Ben
What is the difference between
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 3 months ago.

Hello, Ban, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

1. Yes, this is common practice with HMRC as it prevents throwing you into 'Month One' tax deductions in the current year with inevitable under deductions at the year end and the need to unscramble the fag end.

2. Typical HMRC fishing for what they can; ignore if if you have no more adjustments needed.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not sure if I understand the first response? Forgive me. Just to be clear... I have declared what HMRC have advised I owe them from the 2016/17 tax year and are currently collecting it through my PAYE code for 2017/18 tax year. The calculation after all details have been put through still states 2016/17. This is correct as to avoid a second declaration at the end of this tax year, as payment would have been completed?Second question answered satisfactorily!

Thank you for your support.