bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Roughly what rate of tax would be payable when selling a

Roughly what rate of tax would be payable when selling a business (Ltd Co) also the business has a commercial property which is tenanted though not by the business what tax would be payable on this. Would entrepreneurs relief apply to both ?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 months ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

Both these transactions would attract Capital Gains Tax (CGT) on the gains made on disposal. This would be levied at 10% or 20% or a combination of the two rates depending on your income including the gain in the tax year of disposal. However, if you are going out of the business altogether, then Entrepreneurs' Relief (ER) will limit your tax burden to a 10% flat rate. You have a lifetime allowance of ER of GBP 10m.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
would you still have to pay corporation tax at 20 then the 10 or just the 10% ?

The company pays Corporation Tax (CT) on any surplus made in each accounting year, current rate is 19%. The gains or losses you personally make on the sale of these businesses have nothing to do with CT.

Thank you for your support.