Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am a British citizen who has been working in France for

I am a British citizen who has been working in France for the past 6 years and I have not worked in the UK since 2010 so I have paid all correct taxes to France since this time and now the UK HMRC are asking me to do a tax disclosure form to disclose any tax not paid in the UK and they say that I owe more than 2000£!!!! I need help to verify if this is correct or not .
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please could you reply as I need help with this query to see if I must pay that amount that is calculated on the disclosure website? Is it correct even though I have paid tax in France for all these years?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 month ago.

HI

Thanks for your patience- I was replying but it takes time to type a reply!!!

This could be correct of you continued to be treated as resident in the UK OR were paid from the UK as it may well be that you needed to declare this income earned abroad along with any French tax suffered (under the double taxation treaty between UK and France)

But all you need to do is advsie HMRC of the facts - when you left the UK to live and work abroad (and whether paid from the UK or from abroad) and visits back to the UK for the last 6 years so they can establish and advsie them of your annual earnings and tax suffered with proof of documentation

1) Your residency status for each tax year

2) If you are deemed to be resident take into account French tax suffered to offset against any UK taxes due

They can then work this out for you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok thanks.
How do I obtain a residency status for each tax year ? Where do I find this ?
And therefore from what you is that I must provide proof of annual income from the past 6 years ?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 month ago.

HI

HMRC will now determine this but you should have completed self assessment tax returns each year if either living in the UK and/or earning income from the UK and should have completed from P85 regardless so HMRC knew that you circumstances were to change

HMRC will establish this now after the event for you

Yes you need to provide

1) Income and tax suffered in France

2) Details for whom you were employed whether paid from the UK or abroad

3) Visits back to the UK with dates

4) List any ties you have in the UK such as links with the country and a citizen, maybe property, perhaps family and maybe a UK based employer etc

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok right. Do you have a contact number or a way to contact HMRC ?
What happens if I cannot prove my wage slips from the past 6 years? What proof do I have then that I was employed in France ?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 month ago.

HI

IF France have charged you taxes then you will have and end of year document P60 if paid from ther UK or récapitulatif fiscal if paid from France - or you would need to ask your employer for these so you can provide them to HMRC

But the normal customer helpline would be of no use to you as you have been asked to make a tax disclosure so this all need to be done in writing -

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok right I understand.
So I need to contact my employer for this recapulatif fiscale . I will do this as soon as possible.
If I have any more questions in the future , will you be available for me to contact you or is there a limit to your services ?
Expert:  Sam replied 1 month ago.

HI

If you were employed by a French employer yes - but in the meantime respond to HMRC advising them of the information I have said you should provide and then send the pay and French tax position on afterwards once received IF HMRC need it