TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

My husband and I live in the UAE, I don't work but return

Hi my husband and I live in the UAE , I don't work but return home to our UK home to see family a few times a year , is there a limit on days I can stay.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

You are not limited as long as you do not have a residence in the UK. You do not work and would not have a tax responsibility.

You are likely to be treated as not resident in the UK for Income Tax or Capital Gains Tax purposes in the tax year if:

 you did not spend more than 45 days in the UK and were not resident in the UK in any of the three previous tax years

 you did not spend more than 15 days in the UK and were resident in the UK in one or more of the three previous tax years

 you are working full-time overseas o you spend fewer than 91 days in the UK o you do not work in the UK for three hours or more on more than 30 days

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thankyou , sorry I bit confusing , I have never worked in Uae or in uk but am thinking of spending around 8 weeks here in January ..am I right in saying if my husband is only in the UK for 21 days a year , but I am here more often he still does need to pay tax .
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

That is correct. If you were to have a residence yourself in the UK then your husband could be seen as having a residence there too. That could jeopardize his status as non resident. If you are just visiting then no problem.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we have a home that we have just bought together in uk and as we have three children here and family I would like to come back more often would it be a problem for my husband.sorry for all the questions.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

As he works abroad full-time (averaging at least 35 hours a week) and spend fewer than 91 days in the UK, of which no more than 30 were spent working then he could still be a non resident.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he does he would only spend max 21days in a tax year in U.K. So it's ok then for me to come back ? Thankyou will leave you in peace now !
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 1 month ago.

For your longer visits yes.

You are most welcome