bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

Tax credits my husband and I earn under 20 k together and

Tax credits
my husband and I earn under 20 k together and recieve tax credits and child tax credits.we have been gifted 200k to buy a house LAST YEAR. .
The interest as we haven't invested well has been less tha 1200 so 600 each . For tax year 16-17.
I FILL MY OWN tax returns will this be the only place I will inform the income tax and tax credits as there is
No other area box to tell them my new savings amount appeared and is now being used to cover daily expenses.
Where and what are the areas of caution as to not affect my tax credits I need to take.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

There is no requirement to declare the principal sum invested, just the interest earned thereon if any. The first 1K of interest is not taxable in any event.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Thank you for your support.