bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

My wife and I are elderly and are thinking of taking equity

My wife and I are elderly and are thinking of taking equity release on our property and giving the cash to our family. We have no debts of our own.
Question: Providing one or both of us survive for 7 years after making the gift does this escape IHT?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The UK has no Gifts tax regime so any gift is tax free in the recipients hands. Just thank your lucky stars you don't live in France, where gifts tax kicks in at 5K euros!

A gift creates a Potentially Exempt Transfer (PET) in the donor's Inheritance Tax (IHT) affairs. PETs run off at a taper over 7 years and in the event of a death within this period are added back to the donor's estate for IHT purposes. PETs are the first to suffer IHT and if there are insufficient funds to meet the tax on the PET then the liability cascades down to the beneficiary for immediate payment. IHT does not, of course kick in until 325K of assets on decease.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Thank you for your support.