Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am going to transfer some shares I hold into an ISA. The

I am going to transfer some shares I hold into an ISA. The current price of these shares is well above the cost price.
Question:
By transferring do I trigger a CGT liability?
Peter Howell.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Sam replied 1 month ago.

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Expert:  Sam replied 1 month ago.

HI

I assume these shares are outside of the ISA - which means you cannot transfer them in - you can only buy and sell those specifically bought shares within the ISA wrapper so this means you will have to in effect sell the shares to the ISA - thereby yes triggering a exponential capital gain if the profits are more than this years capital gains exemption allowance of £11,300

Let me know if I can assist further