TaxRobin
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Experience:  International tax
14155347

We recently moved back to the UK from Germany. Until he

Customer Question

Hi,We recently moved back to the UK from Germany. Until he finds a new job here, my husband continues to work in Germany as a self-employed IT contractor.We no longer have a home in Germany, and he stays in a hotel for two or three nights a week while he is there.Please could you tell us where he should be paying tax now? What are the rules about earning in Germany and living in the UK?Thanks for your help.Jane Chappel
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 21 days ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me to assist you.

Expert:  TaxRobin replied 21 days ago.
  • You live in Germany for more than 6 consecutive months - You are considered ‘ordinarily resident' in Germany and, as such, are subject to unlimited tax liability and must pay tax on your worldwide income there.
  • You live in Germany for no more than 6 months - You are not considered tax resident, and pay tax only on income earned in Germany (limited tax liability).

If he receives income from German sources as a non-resident , he must file an annual tax return covering this income, unless it was subject to withholding tax. You can usually claim Foreign Tax Credit Relief when you report your overseas income in your UK tax return.

A positive 5 star rating is appreciated so I am credited for assisting.