bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I've received a letter from the IR stating that there is a

Customer Question

I've received a letter from the IR stating that there is a discrepancy between my employer's submission and my self return specific to my declared income and car benefit.I have assumed that notifying the IR about my car, which I did, and my income being captured via the standard PAYE process is the correct process. Am I supposed to restate both on my tax return?I've always assumed that the return was for additional forms of income.
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 19 days ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The Inland Revenue ceased to exist over five years ago on amalgamation with HM Customs and Excise to form HMRC. Are you sure this communication is not a scam? Are personal details being requested?

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Hi, it is HMRC. My mistake.

Just amend your tax return to correspond with your employer's data and all will be resolved. Net year just stick to that data, not yours in your return. This sort of nit picking by HMRC is now par for the course as tangling with the big boys with their armies of accountants and legal advisers has proved to be an exercise in financial futility for HMRC. I accept that they did just win a action against the Barclay Brothers running into the billions, but that represents a flash in the pan for the Department these days.,

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
Sorry, that's not really my question.I have worked on the basis that I do not have to confirm my PAYE income and car benefit on the tax return. My income is captured via PAYE and I notified the HMRC of any car related BIK to ensure that my tax code was correct throughout the tax year.I have assumed that the additional return is for additional income only. Is this incorrect?

If HMRC require you to make a tax return you must comply. Most taxpayers in the UK, particularly those on PAYE, do not have to complete one. If you have additional income over and above that covered by PAYE and your tax code a return will be required.

Customer: replied 19 days ago.
I do complete the return.Do I have to confirm my PAYE income and car BIK on that return? To date I have not, but have assumed that they receive PAYE from my employer.I have contacted HMRC with car details to ensure my PAYE tax code is up to date.My original question was is this correct or should I also put this detail from my P60 into the annual self assessment return?

You should prepare your return from your P60 and your employer's P11d return [benefits in kind] if these are not reflected on your P60.