bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I closed a business and was going to start a new one but did

Customer Question

I closed a business and was going to start a new one but did not register it as a business but I used the old VAT number. What is my situation now?
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 16 days ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

In basic terms 'You can't do that there here!' Have you been charging VAT and recovering input tax whilst doing this?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
What now?

I can only advise you if you tell me whether or not you have been collecting VAT and reclaiming input tax in connection with your new business.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I have one client who I invoice with VAT which I have not filed a VAT return with

You must contact your VAT office to remedy the position. Register your new business for VAT, then issue an invoice quoting the new VAT Number and cancelling the original ones. We seem to have caught this mistake just in time. If you do this before contacting the VAT office then they will almost certainly endorse your action.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Post for administrative purposes.