bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I am trying to navigate my way thru government childcare

I am trying to navigate my way thru government childcare scheme to figure out if I qualify for 30h free childcare. I have got stuck when asked if my income is more than 100K. I believe that this is adjusted net income rather than gross income. As an NHS worker, I pay into NHS pension scheme and contributions are removed before tax. I am then taxed on what is left and I believe that is my ANI and that is the amount that needs to be <100K to qualify. Is that right?
Assistant: The Accountant will know how to help. Is there anything else the Accountant should be aware of?
Customer: I don't think so
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 27 days ago.

Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

You are on the right lines as this benefit is assessed using your expected, adjusted net income.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Oh good. Thank you. The HMRC helpline was not helpful when I rang them. They said it was based on gross income. I questioned that as had seen legislation document which says ANI. The poor guy on the end of the line was then clearly out of his depth when trying to figure out what ANI was.... So to a simple NHS worker - the ANI is the taxable income on P60 form

Unfortunately, the people who man these telephone lines operate from a very limited stock of answers so anything out of the ordinary leaves them flummoxed. Personally I never advise using the telephone with HMRC, there is always the possibility of the person on the other end getting hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all! Keep to letters, then you have a hard copy of what both parties said.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Thank you for your support.