bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I have just had a two tax demands from HMRC regrading not

I have just had a two tax demands from HMRC regrading not enough tax paid during 2015-2016, and 2016-2017. During this period I was in reciept of a pension as well as being employed full time.The income tax should have been paid from my full time employer, is their any way I can hold the employer to account for incorrectly paying too little income tax?Thanks Mr.Webber
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 22 days ago.

Hello Mr Webber, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be bale to help you with your question.

Was this your State Pension or from some other source? Presumably it was paid gross?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I have a police pension and was working full time, my concern is surely the employer is responsible for ensuring the correct tax is paid at source,as I have no control over this?

What should have happened is that HMRC should have issued a tax code to your police pension payer to enable tax at the basic rate to be deducted. Alternatively, your employment tax code should have been reduced to recover the tax due on the pension. Pound to a pinch of salt, as two tax offices are almost certainly involved, the matter fell through the cracks in the floorboards.

Your employer can only deduct tax as directed by HMRC from the tax code issued. Unfortunately, in this sort of case, you are responsible for ensuring that the code number is ***** Matters are not helped as these days HMRC do not advise taxpayer of code number changes as they are issued which would enable individuals to challenge these. You would have to scrutinise your pay slips to detect the position. Unfortunately, you cannot hold your employer responsible as he can only operate the codes he is given by HMRC.

You should check these demands for accuracy and if they are wrong appeal against them which you do merely by writing a letter. HMRC are notorious for making assumptions, invariably incorrect and always in the Revenue's favour. Otherwise you are going to have to bite the bullet and pay up. You will also have to get the tax ocdes adjusted for the future to prevent this sort of palaver occurring again.

I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Thank you for the advice
Stuart Webber

Delighted to have been of assistance Stuart.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Expert:  bigduckontax replied 21 days ago.

Thank you for your support.