bigduckontax, Accountant
Experience:  FCCA FCMA CGMA ACIS
75394688

I worked in singapore for 90 days. As a sole trader

i worked in singapore for 90 days. As a sole trader contracting for and english company.
I see the benchmark rate for claiming subsistence per day is:
lunch 79ssd
dinner 102.50ssd
drinks 25ssd
That is £113 a day i can deduct from my earnings every day for 90 days.
Have i got that right, cause i seems amazing.

Hello, I am one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question.

The HMRC Exchange Rate for the Singapore Dollar is 1.7929 for December 2017. 206.5 $S equates to say GBP 115 so your 113 may well be correct for the relative 90 days involved. The deduction appears to be allowable and up to 24 months is permitted as a temporary duty period. I would claim it, but keep full data as you may have to support your position to HMRC.

I do hope that you have found my reply of assistance.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have kept all my receipts, from singapore. So I could have just put them through instead of the benchmark.
The benchmark seems to be much better for me. Does it matter that the english company i was working for were giving me a cash per diem of £39 per day while i was there? As part of my pay.
And thank you very much. That's very helpful.

It is in your pay so will be taxed. I would claim the Singapore recommended levels as an expense in employment.

Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks m'man. Got a big smile on me face now.

Thank you for your support.