Sam, Accountant
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
16196420

I am applying for my horse training license for the British

Hi I am applying for my horse training license for the British Horseracing authority , it has stalled because in there words a person from the public has informed them that I have a tax issue .
I have sent the BHA all my tax returns for the last 5 years I have given them a recorded conversation with the tax office with the Tax office telling them I have nothing to answer for and I don't owe them anything .
This still doesn't satisfy the BHA .
The BHA has told me they have written to HMRC asking questions about it .
The BHA won't tell me what's in the letter .
The question I'm asking you is , Do the BHA have the power to ask the HMRC and can they do it without my Permission?
The BHA have been waiting for a reply for over 6 weeks now with know response .
Waiting for your reply
Martin

Hi, Sam here , one of the UK tax Experts here on Just Answer, thank you for your question and I shall reply shortly

Thanks for your patience

HMRC will not disclose anything to anyone unless you have given authority for them to do so and usually this would only be any representative you have agreed to deal with your tax affairs.

So no they do not have the power the ask HMRC and cannot get this without your permission also I cannot see how this could affect your application for a horse training licence. applying for a horse training licence

I would ask this authority to provide where it states within their guidelines that your tax issues have any bearing on you getting this licence

Let me know if I can assist further

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Dear *****,Thank you for your response. This was very helpful.Could I please ask for further assistance regarding the BHA and their Duty of Care.Before I am to have my licence to train racehorses granted, I am required to meet certain specifications. These would include stables and an all-weather gallop being installed, tack room, feed room, staff room, hot wash down bay for the horses, etc. I also had to have a minimum of 3 horses in training with me before my licence would be granted.
The cost of getting the yard up to there specifications has cost approximately £100,000.00.Due to the BHA not granting me my licence, the 8 horses I had in training with me have had to go elsewhere as I was unable to run them. This has cost me a large sum of loss of earnings, coming to approximately £40,000.00.Do the BHA have a duty of care due to the large sum of monies that has been spent along with the loss of earnings that have occurred due to the BHA withholding my licence without any reason?Regards,Martin

If hey have caused this loss of earnings through falsifying the reasons behind their delay in granting your licence then I imagine you would have recourse.However you would need to seek legal advsie (which you can also do on this Just Answer site under UK law) as I am sure you can appreciate I am a UKCustomernot alegal expert

So do post a furtehr question on Just Answer re the legal position

If in the meantime you have all you need from a tax perspective, it would be appreciated if you could rate me for the level of service I have provided (or click accept)

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Okay, thank you for all your help.
Martin.

hi

You are welcome and if you have any other tax issues do come back and you can always ask for em if you would prefer, have a good day and I hope you have some recourse to your losses