taxadvisor.uk, Chartered Certified Accountant
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
54961312

Question about CGT.... In tax year 17/18 I have transferred

Question about CGT....
In tax year 17/18 I have transferred ownership of a house to a friend, creating a taxable gain of ££142k. This will be taxed at 28% I believe i.e tax of £40k.
During this year I have also sold equities at a loss of £68k.
What will be my CGT bill for 17/18 ?
What loss on sale of equities would I need to have a nil CGT bill for 17/18?
I pay higher rate income tax.
Thanks for your reply, Nick .

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. I am here to help you. I am reviewing your question and will respond to you shortly.

Thank you for your question..

You have a gain from sale of property and a loss from sale of sales in the current tax year. When you report a loss, the amount is deducted from the gains you made in the same tax year.

Your net gain would be (142,000-68,000) £74,000.

You claim gains annual amount of £11,300 against the above gain and the balance £62,700 would be taxed at 28% (being the rate applicable to sale of residential properties). CGT payable £17,556.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
OK, thanks for that, much as I had anticipated!!
Just to confirm, if I incur a further £63k of losses on sale of equities there should be no CGT payable for 17/18?
Not that I want any losses!!
Regards, Nick.

Nick, thank you for your reply.

You can offset all losses against all gains in the same year to mitigate CGT payable.

If there are no more issues, I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service/accept the service I have provided before you leave the site, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer.

I thank you for accepting my answer.

Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.

Best wishes.