Doug C.
Doug C., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Technician
21364095

tail lights not working because fuze keeps blowing when i put

Customer Question

tail lights not working because fuze keeps blowing when i put lights on also fog warning light on dash is lit up constantly even though it is switched off
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Walt-mod replied 4 years ago.

I'm a moderator for this topic. I've been working hard to find a Professional to assist you right away, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

Walter
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

what information do you need, ican only say just tried to put another fuze in, turned lights on and fuze again,i know theres a short some where but i don t know where to look

,

Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.

Unfortunately there isn't going to be an easy go-to answer here, with the bulbs eliminated as a possible failure point this really only leaves wiring damage (chaffing, accident related, pinches, etc).
You are going to need to trace your wiring from each lamp back to the main harness to check for damage. A visual inspection is required to find the short, there sadly isn't any special tool or specific place to look etc.

The only exception to this I feel the need to mention is tow harnesses.... If you have an add-on tow harness, disconnect it. These are known for internal shorting which will cause abnormal behavior and fuse failure.
Theoretically this could cause your fog indicator to illuminate as well if the system is back feeding power through the harness. A bit more of a long shot, but entirely probable.

Spend some quality time inspecting your harnesses at each lamp, disconnect the tow harness if you have one, and look for anything out of the ordinary. Something is going to be damaged (provided there is no tow harness or it is removed and the problem remains).
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

hi, i will try that and see what happens, i have had a tow bracket taken off but thats about a year ago, the wires are just tucked out of the way. i will def try this

ty

Expert:  Doug C. replied 4 years ago.
No problem.... if you had a tow harness that is definitely where I would start.

Good luck!