Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds

engine light came on when fuel was low and then fuel light o

Customer Question

I have just bought a 2002 avensis with 85000 miles, with full dealer service history. It has had a full RAC inspection and was no problems. I have just picked it up and petrol light was on, whilst i was driving to the petrol station the amber engine light came on. I was hoping it was a warning because i was low on fuel and the fuel light was on, then the engine light came on and the fuel light went off (even though i hadnt filled up at that point) which is leading me suspect it was something to do with the petrol being low, but its remained on since filling up. It is running nice and smooth and no problems. I have read some forums that say how you can reset the system if it was just to do with the fuel being low, but i dont want to do that if it could be another problem-however i know it can be expensive getting diagnostic checks and you can end up replace loads of parts and sensors and the light may still come on? do you have any advice please? 

ps i have it booked in for a service on monday so if there is no answer by then they will be sorting it out. 

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks i have until monday when the car goes into the garage in will be plugged in for a diagnostic check, i was hoping for an answer before then, if not by then you can cancel my question.

Hello Ian,

We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

The fuel level warning and engine management light are not linked. However low fuel level could cause a fault code to be stored by the engine management system if the low fuel were to cause the engine to misfire or have a lack of power.

You will still need to go to a garage to have the fault code identified and the light put out.

However, as the engine is currently running ok, I would not be fitting new parts at this stage.

What should be done is the code is read and recorded. It should then be cleared and the car road tested. If the light stays off then no further work is required. If it comes back on and it is the same code as before, then you may need to replace parts or carry out repairs.