Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297
Toyota

I have a 2007 2.2 D4D Avensis, it was running fine until about

3 days ago, when it... Show More
3 days ago, when it started sometimes getting hesitant under acceleration ~2000rpm. Today the engine light has come on along with the TRC and VSC lights, all of which come on after turning it off and restarting it. I guess it is a sensor somewhere.

I have 3 questions: 1. Any idea what sensor it is likely to be? 2. Could it be something iced up, (it has been very cold here ~0C for weeks)? 3. Is it OK to still drive?
Category: Toyota
Show Less
replied 4 years ago.

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors or actuators has failed or has a faulty connection.

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

the car should still be safe to drive but it will be down on power and going any long distances is not advisable

This could be a wiring issue as its possible a poor or partial electrical connection is being pushed apart on one of the major sensors so check the connection plug and wiring to the following;

Airflow meter

Crank position sensor

Cam position sensor

O2 sensor

Throttle pedal position sensor