Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years

My Toyota VXR could not start after changing front tire

Customer Question

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

do you have any ESP or other fault lights on?

does is crank / turn over OK?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It does not crank. No noise whatsover. normally i would push the start button abd it will crank, this time no noise what so ever,The only lights i see is the red battery light and a yellow or orange tap light and once in well all the dash board light become brighter and then go deem

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
hello Brian

Ok I'd 1st check the basics
If the car's not cranking then first check it can turned over by hand so double checking for any mechanical issues
If OK then check that the main battery cables are on tight and the terminals are clean and bright. Do the same for the engine / gearbox earth strap.
Then follow the main positive lead back to the engine and down to the starter motor, and check the connection at this end as well.

There should also be a small wire to the motor which should have 12V when you're turning the ignition switch to crank. If the 12V isn't there, check back along this wire for damage to the insulation or corroded connections

This 12V feed comes directly from the ignition switch so this may be faulty and need replacing

Check the resistance of the main positive lead that runs down to the motor as anything more than a few ohms and it should be replaced
Don't forget to try a jump start from another car / battery as its possible the battery is poor, if you have a voltmeter a healthy battery should read 12.7+V

also try substituting the battery for another as I've known a very flat battery to drag down the system voltage too far even with jump cables

one other thing to consider is that the immobiliser is faulty and preventing the starter from being enabled - however if the dash / ignition lights are on then this usually means that its off

If this is all OK then its possible the car needs a new starter motor

what is a possibilty is that the wheel speed sensor on that corner which had the tyre change has been damaged somehow and the ESP system is preventing the start

so it may be worth unplugging that wheel speed sensor
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No ESP light is on. The only light on is the battery light. The dash board light comes on bright sometimes and deems slowly. There is no noise whatsoever when i push the start buttton. I have trid other natteries no response. I have also supported it with other battery no response.

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.
Hello Brian

have you measured for 12V at the starter solenoid as I've described above?