Shantal-Mod
Shantal-Mod, Moderator
Experience:  Moderator
73554018

I had a "alternator not charging battery" warning light on

Customer Question

I had a "alternator not charging battery" warning light on my 1991 Toyota Soarer dashboard and it was running on 'limp home' mode.

I have just fitted a brand new alternator and nothing has changed.

Would you have any ideas as what could be causing this?

(I have also fitted a brand new battery, ht leads, rotor arms, distributor covers and spark plugs)(and not electrical a new water pump and cam belt)

Cheers, Mick.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

Check the fuse in the fuse box under the hood and the #1 fuse i think it was is the charging fuse check that this is okay and that its a 7.5amp fuse use a bigger fuse
you will get the problem you are having .

So blown fuse or a bigger amped fuse will cause this problem .

Need further assistance then please get back to me with the reply box and not the poor or bad service button .

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Just popped out to check and it is a 7.5A fuse and it is fine.

(The slots aren't numbered but it's about half way down and labeled on the fusebox lid)

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Michael what voltage are you getting at the battery with the lights and A/C on and engine speed at 2500rpm .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Unfortunately I haven't anyone to keep the revs up while I test the voltage. Also the aircon pump doesn't work!

I tested the battery connections at idle not too long back and it was reading approximately 14.5 volts.

I'll give it a check with lights on at 2500rpm when I get hold of someone later tonight.

What should it be reading then?

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

If you have 14.5 volts at the battery then the alternator is charging the battery ,
So i take it the battery light is still on.even thought you are chargeing okay .

Do you have the chance to try another known good battery ,

Or do the following but you will need a second man to help .

Srat engine and with the revs at 1200rpm disconnect the negative cable on the battery and see if the battery light goes out and if the engine stalls or keeps running .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's not exactly a battery warning light as such. It is a row of Japanese letters that actually translates to 'alternator not charging battery'.

I've tried two batteries, one being the original and a brand new one.

I'll try the removing the earth cable at 1200 revs when I get another person tonight.

Another quick note, there isn't any warning lights when idling! Just when pressing the accelerator.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi ,

Michael are you sure the warning light is for the charging system as from what you have done the system is charging ,this has to be something else as the charging light will come on when it is under 12.8 volts which yours has a healthy 14.5 .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. I managed to pinche someone.

The rev counter goes off when acceleration is applied. This is a new thing that started with the charging warning. I guessed the revs and at a highish rev the voltage is stil 14.6v. I disconnected the negative lead at a slightly raised rpm and the engine ran as normal.

I have read on a few forums that that warning light doesn't always mean there is a problem with the alternator but I cannot find any alternative problems hence why I am inquiring to you. (Ive obsoleted the alternator)

I have also noticed that my catalytic converters sound like they are rattling and was wondering if a coilpack has gone would the engins still sound okay as they are well balanced? Cheers.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi .

Okay let try the following :

Check for malfunction codes do you know how to do this ,

Don't suppose you have a code reader for this older system ?

If not do the following .

Cross /bridge the DLC test plug as shown in the diagram ,not sure which one you have
but i think its in the engine bay and looks like the one i ringed in red

graphic

After bridging the pins switch on the ignition and a XXXXX XXXXXght will flash a long or a short flash and should be read as the long flash Tens and the short flash as a unit
So 2 long flashes plus 3 short flashes will be a code 23 ,
Do this and let me know what you find .

Rgds Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Where abouts am I looking for this orange light?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I think I've found it. Would it be the O/D OFF orange light?

If so then it flashes constantly, about 4 every second 1,2,3,4,5...

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Is this what happened after you bridged the DLC as said .

Greg
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I bridged E1 and TE1 an it flashed constantly which according to certain sites I've researched means normal.

I also bridged E1 and Tc which brought up a help screen on the touch screen on the dash but it's in Japanese and have no idea where to go with that if anything can be found there.

Regards.

Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.
Hi Michael .

Sorry mate, but no idea what to do to help you with this, as i've no idea with this
Japanese info ,so sorry wish i could of helped .

I will opt out and see if another expert can assist you with this ,

Kindest regards Greg.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok. Many thanks anyway.

Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Hello Mick,

It seems the professional has left this conversation. This happens occasionally, and it's usually because the professional thinks that someone else might be a better match for your question. I've been working hard to find a new professional to assist you with your question, but sometimes finding the right professional can take a little longer than expected.

I wonder whether you're OK with continuing to wait for an answer. If you are, please let me know and I will continue my search. If not, feel free to let me know and I will cancel this question for you.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I am happy to wait for an answer thank you. :-)

Hello Mick,

Thank you for your patience, we will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Hello Mick,

I apologize as we have not yet been able to find a Professional to assist you. Do
you wish for me to continue to search for someone to assist you or would you
like for us to close your question at this time?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

You can close this now thank you.

I am sorry we were unable to assist you. As requested I will go ahead and close your question.