Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

I have just purchased an 02 plate mr2 roadster and although

Customer Question

I have just purchased an 02 plate mr2 roadster and although it passed mot with no advisories the Malfunction Indicator light is always on- the dealer said he had sorted it (we noticed it when we went for a test drive) but obviously not and we don't know what it means?can you help? Thank you Debbie XXXXXXX

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully I can help..

The malfunction warning light generally means the cars ecu is picking up a fault with the engine management / engine sensors /control modules on the car etc and has logged fault codes within its fault memory,sometimes this may send the car into limp home mode depending on the fault - sometimes even low fuel or loose fuel cap can cause this aswell as the car itself being sitting for a while.the warning light does cover quite an area of possible faults so it would be hard at the this stage with any testing to know for sure what needs checked/replaced even..The best way forward really in this situation is to get the car diagnosed to see what fault codes are being stored in the ecu..so you will need a diagnostic test to find that out.once you know what the codes are then we'll have a better idea on what step you need to next as per checks etc.which im sure the dealer will be able to carry out.if the car is seemingly running normal then there is chance it could be emissions related...but as above the best thing you can do is return the vehicle and explain the warning is still on,so you feel the problem hasn't been resolved.if it had then the warning light wouldn't be on at all..I do hope this helps..If you need to ask anything else before you rate then just continue..

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you I now have it sorted - didn't want to go to the dealer without some understanding of the problem
Expert:  Robert replied 4 years ago.
Hi..there.. Thats no problem - glad to help..If you need ask anything else then you know where I am and ill try my best to help..Also please don't forget to rate my answr above much appreciated as always..best of luck Robert..