Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

i havea toyota landcruiser with a D4D diesel engine. when pulling

Customer Question

i havea toyota landcruiser with a D4D diesel engine. when pulling away from stationary there has been an increasing lag before the car will pull away. the problem is much worse when under load eg with a trailer or when starting up hill. if yuo try and accelerate there is a very slow response until about 1200rpm and then it will accelerate quickly. it makes no difference if the engine is hot or cold. over the last 6 months the problem has got increasingly worse. the performance once rolling above 12000 is fine
it seems as if it could be turbo lag? if so is it just a sensor or split pipe that is giving a false reading?
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hello, welcome. My name is Mike, I will do my very best to
assist you with your question.

From what you are describing this is a oil restriction issue to the turbo.This can be from the oil feed pipes leading to the turbo becoming restricted or the turbo boost valve.What I would suggest as a first step is to have the turbo lines and boost valve checked out.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

sorry for late reply - i am away on holiday

i will get this checked out when i return then rate you asap

Ok. You can respond back to me at anytime after rating positive and I will continue to help you,thank you.