Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

My Auris TSpirit 1.6 (2007) suddenly gets stuck in neutral

Customer Question

My Auris TSpirit 1.6 (2007) suddenly gets stuck in neutral when driving. It has been seen by main dealer twice - replaced clutch kit and motor due to P0810 (Oct 2012) replaced mmt edu (Aug 2013). Happened again. Total mileage 23638.

Sheil Bramdaw
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 4 years ago.

Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
When you say stuck in neutral do you mean it will not shift in to any gear?
Any abnormal noises?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
The gear stick is able to move freely. I always use the automatic option in the Auris. There is no abnormal noise. When the car just stops you put your foot on the accelerator, the engine revs but the car remains stationary.

Sheil
The issue that you are describing is consistent with the gearbox pump having a fault and bleeding down the pressure which causes the vehicle to neutral out. Even at the low mileage this can happen to any pump. The piston inside the pump develops a crack which causes the pressure loss. What I would suggest as a next step is to have the vehicle hooked to a transmission diagnostic tool and test driven. This will monitor the pressure and solenoid operation.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hi Mike,

I have booked in the car this Friday with the local Toyota dealer. I shall mention your response without referring to the sauce. When I get my car back I shall revert back to you with the result.

This sounds promising but I am no expert. I am OK with your comments as the dealer has already gone up different avenues and failed.

Thank you in the meantime and as I say I will get back to you probably early next week. The dealer is very likely to say he has to order in parts.

Sheil

No problem thank you. You can respond back to this question at anytime after rating positive and I will continue to help you,in the meantime without rating positive the question will close. Thanks again.