Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

I have a gen 6 Celica sr 1997 uk spec. The alarm siren randomly

Customer Question

I have a gen 6 Celica sr 1997 uk spec. The alarm siren randomly sounds for random lengths of time and at random pauses in between, This also happened when I was driving down the road with no effect on the driving system. Cannot stop it with the key fob. The only way is to disconnect the battery for a few minutes. It will then act normally for a couple of weeks.
Alan
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will assist you with your question.
How old is the vehicles battery and alternator?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I do not know the ages of the battery or the alternator but I know that the battery has not had much use and was originally used on a Landcruiser so it is a high spec version. Never had any power problems at all.

Ok the reason this happens with the alarm is either a voltage problem from the vehicle or a ground/earth issue. The first step I would suggest is to have the battery and alternator load tested to ensure that they are not overcharging or undercharging both will cause this problem. Next the connections need to be checked at the battery,battery leading it the alternator and the battery leading to the starter. And last the harness leading to the fuse box in the engine compartment needs to be checked for corrosion.

P
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have tried all your (basic) answers but the connections are completely clean, could eat your dinner off them, and no electrical charging problems. Maybe it could be to do with the resetting of the alarm after battery disconnection or resetting the remote fob after new battery? Cannot give proper answer as after reconnecting battery it may be 2 to 4 weeks before it happens again.

Alan

I will see if I can get some more information for you and get back to you. Thank you.

Is this a factory alarm system or after market?

If this is a factory system insert the key into the outer door lock cylinder and unlock the door this should disengage the alarm system. If this did not work insert ignition key into the ignition cylinder turning it three times from off to on, quickly, and on the third time go straight to the start position. If it is a factory system this will override the alarm and reset the system. If this is not a factory system let me know and we will go from there,thank you.