Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

Have a problem with an 06 toyota dyna 150 D4D engine. when

Customer Question

Have a problem with an '06 toyota dyna 150 D4D engine. when i let the revs off the engine management light comes on and the engine cuts out after about one minute. when i start the engine i must have my foot on the throttle so that the engine gets enough revs or the engine management light comes on straight away. The engine goes fine when you drive above a given rpm
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 4 years ago.

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

On any car if you get a check engine light or other fault light this typically means one or more of the sensors has failed or has a faulty connection.

The ECU senses this and may put the car into 'limp home' mode which typically limits the revs and the amount of power available. Usually the car is safe to drive for a short distance as the mode is intended is intended to get you home without incurring any engine damage

The quickest route to repair is to have the car plugged into a diagnostic machine which will read off the fault code stored in the ECU (providing the light is still on at this point) and indicate which sensor has failed or whether the fault is more serious.

You can do a very rough and ready check yourself by unplugging sensors one at a time and seeing if any of them change the driving condition which would indicate the most recently unplugged sensor is the faulty one. This method is not foolproof though and reading a fault code off is the better method.

from your description I'd suspect an issue either with the EGR valve or the air control valve
Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

do you still need help with this?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

yea stiil need help, coming up as fuel fault on computer but i have took pipes off the pump and put deisel directly out of a gallon jar to the pump no change light still comes on , could it be dirt or bad deisel and if so what should try .

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

the best way forward really is to get the fault code read as this save a lot of time if you could tell me what codes you have?

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

just got one code p1226

Expert:  Matt replied 4 years ago.

thats the rather generic code of 'fuel line malfunction

try looking on the fuel pump there should be a pair of Green and Red connectors,
These are the SCV.
Remove - clean with brake cleaner (blow through the hole)
reassemble and report back.