Mark
Mark, Technician
Experience:  Qualified City & Guilds
69494627

How to stop the hybrid system and keep the engine runing on

Customer Question

How to stop the hybrid system and keep the engine runing on Toyota estima hybrid
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
No please continue with the question.
I'd like a professional answer that will really help me.. And worth my £26.

Thank you for getting back to me. We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Hello. My name is Mark.

Before answering your question, can you tell me why you want to do this and is it for any specific reason. ie fault finding.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Yes , this is for my dad.. Who has had a lot of problem with his car. He needs to know this specific question. Can you please just answer the question to the best of your knowledge.

Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.

Hi again. I need to know exactly why he wants to do this. If it is for fault finding reasons then I need to know what fault he has.

If he just wants it to run like a normal vehicle then that is not going to happen due to the engine design and how the complete system is designed to work.

There are extremely high voltages on this vehicle which can kill. Modification should not be attempted.

Mark.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
He said

The battery is always dying, his car stops for 10 mins and the starts again. He has changed the battery three times .. It keeps running out.. It's really frustrating as he is a taxi driver..he has tried everything.. The battery just keeps dying.. He has spent ALOT of money.. But keeps dying..

He understands it's dangerous .. As he himself is a mechanic but just needs professional advice .. He has changed the inverter converter three times also.. Please do your best on answering this question
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Has he tried fitting a new high voltage battery?

Mark
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The batteries he has changed ARE high voltage. It is a heavy voltage battery that is user the rear seat.
Expert:  Mark replied 3 years ago.
Ok. What you are looking to achieve with the engine supplying all the power is impossible with this hybrid system.

Initial acceleration is provided by the electric motor. If you need harder acceleration, then the generator will start the engine to provide the extra power.

Throttle control is not a direct function of pressing the throttle pedal. It is a computer controlled calculation which controls how hard the engine will rev to produce the amount of electricity required by the drive motor.

Recharging of the battery is done by the engine and also regenerative braking. The DC-DC converter takes care of this along with the generator.

If you have replaced the high voltage battery and the problem still occurs then you need to check the generator circuit and DC-DC converter for faults.

You might find it is cheaper to cut your losses and replace the vehicle with a newer diesel with similar consumption figures.

Mark.