Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Toyota Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.
19374685

Rav4 xt3 vvti, engine management light some times comes on,

Customer Question

Rav4 xt3 vvti, engine management light some times comes on, speedo stops working and some times computer MPG readout. It then goes back to being fine. drivers footwell carpet damp, so have removed rubber matt in case of condensation is the cause

Category: Toyota
Expert:  Shantal-Mod replied 3 years ago.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Relist: Other.
Paid top money for top service and have received neither.

If not satisfied with reply in 24 hrs, I will be asking Paypal for a full refund
Expert:  Mike Kelly replied 3 years ago.
Hi,my name is mike and I will assist you with your question.
Do you still need help with this issue if so let me know and I will help you.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Be happy to leave positive feed back Mike, but as of yet I`ve heard nothing from anyone.

Sorry it took so long for someone to get back to you on this.
From what you are describing the issue that you are having is the vehicle speed sensor is starting to fail on the vehicle and results in the light coming on and the other symptoms. The reason that it goes back to normal at times is because the sensor has not completely failed yet. I am also a warranty inspector and have inspected this issue on these vehicles many times as it is common. To correct the problem the speed sensor is replaced.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Can you please tell me where speed sensor is located?

The speed sensor is mounted on the side of the gearbox,held on by one bolt and one electrical connector.