indy-tech
indy-tech, Import tech
Experience:  Import technician .
29331485

I have Toyota Yaris SR 2008 and occasionally find it difficult

I have Toyota Yaris SR 2008 and occasionally find it difficult to select 1st or 2nd gear
Category: Toyota
Expert:  indy-tech replied 3 years ago.

indy-tech :

Name isXXXXX goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back,

indy-tech :

can you select 1st and 2nd gear with out any problem with the engine off.

indy-tech :

and how many miles do you have on this engine

Customer:

I have occasionally left the car in first gear when parking on a steep incline, and can't remember having any problems

Customer:

approx. 31k

indy-tech :

you said occasionally you find it difficult to select 1st or 2nd gear, but if the engine is off do you still have difficulty in selecting gear

Customer:

Apart from parking, as I mentioned earlier, I haven't tried putting into gear with the engine off

indy-tech :

What does the clutch pedal pressure feel like same as always or harder or softer and when does the clutch start to bite when you let off low or higher up

Customer:

The clutch pedal seems to need to be right down to the floor to disengage gears and the bite is within a couple of inches or less from the floor and always feels fairly stiff

indy-tech :

This looks like a pressure plate problem i was thinking more like a selector rod in the transmission but 31K

indy-tech :

is low milage for this so now would say the pressure plate is weak can you have a good local shop you know check this for you.

Customer:

Would you expect this problem in a car that had done more miles than this

indy-tech :

Now if you said you had an issue selecting 1st and 2nd with the engine off then yes this would be a selector rod in the transmission .if you can select both gears then it will be the clutch .

Customer:

what would you recommend that I do to fix this problem

indy-tech :

With this being a transmission issue i would recommend that you have a good shop check this out

indy-tech :

with my suggestion before any big time work is done ,and when they find its the pressure plate replace the complete clutch kit and not just the pressure plate .

Customer:

So to summarise, if I can select 1st/2nd gears with engine off ok it would suggest that the problem is a clutch pressure plate problem.

indy-tech :

Clutch fluid should first be checked first , have it flushed and change first just to be sure, and if you still have the same problem have him see if the gears can be selected with the engine OFF if they can then flush and change the clutch fluid still problem replace the clutch kit .

Customer:

To confirm that this problem is not constant but happens occasionally, does this still indicate what has been previously discussed?

indy-tech :

If not Constant i would do the flush and change of the clutch fluid first, making sure it is bleed correctly then try again this is the cheapest way to see and be sure, this problems can be caused by old fluid, yours is probably 5 years old and should be done anyway if never done .then drive and see if you still have the same problem .

Customer:

and if this doesn't erase the problem you would recommend a new clutch kit which would include a new pressure plate?

indy-tech :

Yes this i would recommend ,but as said have it checked to be 100% as with me not being there to self test makes it very hard but this information is to help you let your mechanic know what to do and check first ,but normally yes if after the flush you have the same problem replace the clutch kit .

Customer:

Thank you for your assistance, much appreciated.

indy-tech :

Thank you for using justanswer .My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back with the reply box below and not the poor or bad service button ,

For further assistance there is no extra charge after accepting.

Rgds Greg

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

thank you