Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

I have just picked up brand new yaris disel from Toyota dealership.

I have just picked up brand new yaris disel from Toyota dealership. I have done 10 miles and the car stopped, the engine cut of and I had to call road rescue. I was told that the car has been filled with petrol rather then disel fuel. My question is how badly the engine may be damaged, how my warranty may be affected and what should I expect from Toyota dealer? It was the 5th car I bought from this particular garage.
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

OK if you weren't the one to put fuel in it then you're in no way liable

likley damage is that the diesel pump and injectors on the engine will need to be replaced with new- in addition to to emptying the tank and replacing the fuel filter

a new pump and injectors will be about £1400 plus the cost of replacing the filter ( £10) and the days labour required to fit all these new parts

You shoudl expect all this to done at the dealers expense while they provide another car whilst the repairs are being made

yo would even be within your basic consumer rights to demand a refund as the car was not sold in a fit for purpose condition
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi Matt,

In your opinion, if the damage has been as you've described, how would it affect the warranty on the engine? If the engine is damaged, can I request for a new car/engine?

If it fixed by the dealer, what sort of guarantee can I request if the engine malfunctions in future?

Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

Hello Matt

The main engine ( pistons, vlaves block etc)

won't be damaged by running on petrol

so providing that a new pump and injectors are fitted I'd say the rest of the engine will be fine and the warrenty should carry on as if it was a new car