Matt, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  BEng hons Mech engineering, in auto industry 22 years
12772297

hi.i have a 2008 lexus is 220d with 47000 mules..full service

Customer Question

hi.i have a 2008 lexus is 220d with 47000 mules..full service history..i have noticed after a long journey.say 40 miles ,the engine is very noisy ..rattley when idling..totally quiet when cold or after short journey.....any suggestions please.thanks in advance
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Matt replied 3 years ago.

I'd suggest 1st thing to do is check the oil level is correct and if this is OK I'd suggest measuring oil pressure is correct with seperate mechanical gauge - this can be plumbed into the engine via the current pressure switch port

If this is OK then
try removing the auxiliary drive belt and turning every pulley and ancillary ( power steering pump , alternator etc) by hand. All should turn easily (with the exception of the AC pump) with no grittyness or wobbly pulleys- If you do find a sticky pump / alternator then it should be replaced or repaired

If the engine is stone cold you can briefly run it with no belts to see if the noise changes or has gone away, this will help show if an ancillary is the issue

Examine carefully the condition of the bottom / crank pulley as these are composite construction with a rubber element and its possible this rubber is breaking up and allowing the two metal portions to move.

Another possibility is the variable valve timing system as this does rely on oil pressure to correctly synchronise your vvti pulley on the end of the camshaft. If the valve has become blocked up then its possible the pulley is rattling about and producing the noise.

If all of this is OK then its possible the issue is with the dual mass flywheel on the other end of the engine, these are constructed in the same way I mentioned for the front pulley but are more prone to problems due to greater heat and larger forces.

If your gearstick is rattling this is another pointer to this being the problem.