Robert
Robert, UK Qualified Car Technician
Experience:  Fully qualified / self employed garage technician in the UK
13210289

Hi please can you tell me when my timing chain or belt has

Customer Question

Hi please can you tell me when my timing chain or belt has to be change? My car is a Toyota Yaris SV55 WFB...millage is 66.000 , I am worried about this , if it has to be done what would the cost be ? thankyou
Category: Toyota
Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.

Hi..

Hopefully i can help..

Ok..according to my info based on your reg number - it will be a 1.0 petrol engine which has a timing chain and NOT a timing belt...so in a sense the timing chain should last the lifetime of the engine -so you shouldnt have any worries there - unless it itself becomes noisey in operation ie:- rattling from the timing cover,timing shifting slightly due to guide wear or chain stretching etc which in turn will flag up a crank/cam timing sync issue..the usual causes for premature timing chain failure is lack of proper oil/filter servicing as the chain/guides relys heavily on proper lubrication and oil quailty - as long as the service intervals are kept too - you should have any issues or need for replacement unless the mileage is very high on the engine..I do hope this helps

Expert:  Robert replied 3 years ago.
Hi..do you still require assistance?